Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What is American Culture? (black)

For the past couple weeks we have had the opportunity to visit and meet many amazing people, stories, and communities. I am astonished at how diverse the city really is. I utterly enjoyed the museums, the train rides, the restaurants, cafes, hotels, and even the cold walks. As we look around these communities and learn about different cultures, their history, and how they claim their culture today it makes me wonder about American culture. Now of course, I know I have more to me than just American. However, I have not had the opportunity to go into details with my family or even try to search for my ancestry. It amazes me how well even children from these neighborhoods are so tied to their culture, traditions, and passed on skills.  So when someone asks you what is your ethnicity what do you say? (polish, european, african, puerto-rican, irish ect) But how much do you really know about your ethnicity, the cultures, traditions, customs, or beliefs? Sometimes I think I should just say I am American.

I feel like most American know what they may be "mixed with" or are told by their parents what they are however, no one knows Truly what it means to be a certain race. If i told you I was black you would probably think that my culture is about pride, justice, equality, soul food, church, music, swagg..or watever else you may think of. But to be honest I feel as if these are just some traits that a black person  may possess. What does it actually mean to be black, what is a black culture? All of these questions come to mind because I almost envy those communities we have had the chance to visit because they  KNOW their culture and scream it a the top of the lungs. Whether it is through arts, murals, food, festivals, their clothing, flags, signs, or even just a simple hello.

Someday I hope to be able to say I am American and to have an American culture truly means this...

No comments:

Post a Comment