Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Term Overview!

I enjoyed this course very much! Sometimes it was very difficult to keep up with all of the readings and knowledge gained on our tours but in the end it helped me understand a lot more about the city, its residents, and    its history. I find myself analyzing a lot more buildings, peoples actions downtown and in neighborhoods, students everyday rhythms, and different cultural exhibits and communities.

I loved that this course focused on many different ideas and issues. Such as: education, racial divides, murals, productions of space, architecture, beautification of Chicago, Chicago tourists projects, rail-lines, and of course cultural exhibits.

Two of my favorite sections were of course bringing what we learned about Production of Space to the concepts we learned in this class as well as the racial divides and Chicago Housing Authority. I think these touched me the most because my family used to live in subsidized housing and also the fact that we as a whole continue to struggle with racial divides, misunderstanding, unsolved diversity issues, and the question of who should have the right to decide or plan the future of a particular community. It is just something we all have to think about and hope someone speaks up and is truly Heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment